Can you tell us something about YER USA?
My name is Sander van Meurs and I’m a Director Dutch Desk at YER USA working in our Austin office.
YER USA is an executive search company and was founded in 2007 as a result of international expansion and through existing partnerships with global clients. At YER USA we assist Dutch companies and hiring managers in fulfilling strategic and critical positions with “local” top talent throughout the Americas.
Hiring great people is crucial for your business success in the USA and a high-quality selection process is the foundation for it. Different rules apply to the US job market, so let us help you navigate the challenges that come with it. We are 100% committed to your success!
OUR PROVEN PROCESS AND TIMELINE
- We’ll present you a short list of 3-5 top candidates within 3-4 weeks.
- After that we see most of our customers take one step per week. After a first, second and final round of interviews, we usually see the best candidate is selected and hired within eight weeks of beginning the process.
Why did your company choose Texas?
Believing people do business with people they like and trust we need to be where our customers are and there are a lot of Dutch companies in Texas. Our office in Austin is perfectly located to serve all of them.
Texas is the second economy of the US and has added more than 350,000 jobs in the past year. Put in another way, 1 in 7 jobs created in the US in the past year was created in Texas.
Over 65,000 businesses call the City of Dallas home and Houston is the U.S. energy headquarters and a world center for virtually every segment of the oil and gas industry. Austin is a one-of-a-kind place that's not just unique to Texas, but to the whole country. Austin is also one the fastest growing cities in the US and it’s really becoming a tech city and over the years I’ve even heard people call it Silicon Hills.
What kind of advice can you give to Dutch entrepreneurs who want to do business in Texas?
Let me share a few things that are different compared to the Netherlands:
- Employment contracts are most of the time At will Agreements, which means an employer or employee can end the contract every day.
- Offering Medical, Dental and Vision Care is one of the most important benefits.
- Age is not mentioned on a resume and you can’t ever ask questions around age.
- Salaries in the US are much higher; because cost of living is higher.
- Deliver world class service. Customer is always right, even when they’re not.
- Reviews are important. There is a reason why Glassdoor was acquired for $1.2B.
- Ask for help, Texans are supportive and always want to help.
- Texans will not ask for help themselves.
- Be prepared for a lot of paperwork, forms to fill out and waivers to sign everywhere.
- And for the rest, have fun and enjoy all the great things in Texas. Go to a Rodeo, eat brisket and see Max Verstappen in October on the Circuit of Americas in Austin.
If you want to learn more about YER USA, visit our website: www.yer-usa.com